Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mothers and Daughters

I was sitting on the streetcar this morning going to work,
and this Chinese mother and daughter (she was about 12) got off in front of me.
The daughter was so hostile to her mother.
Do you remember being like that?
Hating your mother so much? Slamming doors and telling her she ruined your life.
I wanted to grab her little shoulders and shake the girl.
"Why are you being so mean to your mother? She is the only mother you'll have!"

But of course I couldn't.
I suppose we all need to hate our mothers.
To later love them.
Today I miss my mom.
In all her judgment glory.

When they got off the streetcar, the mother tried to hand the daughter an apple juice.
It feel onto the floor, and no one picked it up.
The girl walked in front of her mother across the street, trying so hard not to look back.

No comments: